Thursday 26 December 2013

Book Review: A Little Princes by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Oh, this book. What an absolutely wonderful christmas present it is!

This book was the first book I ever read and for Christmas, my mum bought me the B&N leatherbound edition which is absolutely beautiful and illustrated. I hadn't read it since I was a child so re-reading for the first time ever was just so much fun. I spent practically all day Christmas reading this book and just breathing in it's amazingness.

The story is about Sara Crewe who is left in Miss Minchin's Select Seminary for Little Girls, which is a boarding school in London. She was raised in India and has "peculiar" views on enjoyment, such as she loves to pretend/imagine things and make up stories. Her father is ridiculously wealthy so she can practically have whatever she pleases. She is treated like a princess at the school but she doesn't really act like a spoilt children. One day she is given some bad news and our little princess gets put into a tough situation and the book follows from there.

I absolutely love the story. It is magical and I fall in love with every word. I literally finished it then wanted to go back to the start and read it again. It is so perfect. 

The writing style is quite simple since it is targeted to a younger audience though it is thoroughly enjoyable as an adult. 

The characters are a treat and you love and hate them accordingly. 

Sara is just such a wonderful character and an image of virtue.

Overall, I would recommend this book to absolutely everyone. It is that good.

Rating - 5 out of 5 stars (ONE OF MY FAVOURITES OF ALL TIME)

0 comments:

Post a Comment