Sunday 15 December 2013

Book Review - Don Quixote by Cervantes

This is a monster of a book. It is just shy of 1000 pages and it definitely felt that long. 

Long classics are incredibly intimidating which is probably why I had such troubles actually sitting down and picking this book up because it intimidated me so much. Although the length is scary, the content isn't. 

I found this novel to be fully entertaining and almost always hilarious. Honestly, I caught myself laughing out loud in some bits, it was that ridiculous. 

Don Quixote is a guy, who after reading a heap of novels about knights, decides to become one himself and practically deludes himself into this strange scenario where he is a gallant knight. Everyone in the book thinks he is a madman, but the fact that they acknowledge this and then continue to go along with his nonsense is what makes this book so hilarious. 

(Also the fact that 'Don Quixote' was supposed to ridicule the novels that Don Quixote reads [and what was popular during Cervantes time] but in fact, made them more popular and became one itself. I swear in the second half it was the story of a true knight, if not a very strange one.)

The relationship between Don Quixote and Sancho Panza is funny in itself and definitely matures throughout the novel. The intelligence of Sancho, even though he is portrayed as simple-minded, is superb and matures with the novel. Sancho really becomes a part of Don Quixote's madness in the second part and it's also quite funny to see him react in all the crazy situations.

The plot wasn't that of a regular novel; it was simply the string of events that happened to Don Quixote after he decided that he was a knight and as a knight, he should do knightly things.

The only thing I didn't quite like about this book was the length. I caught myself wishing it was shorter countless times throughout reading this book. In my opinion, it really didn't need to be this long.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book as a first (big) classic to anyone who is interested because I feel that the writing and story are quite easy to follow.

Rating - 4 out of 5 stars

Below the Break - Collection of Quotes

"'Allow me to remind you that there is no memory that time does not efface, no pain that death does not destroy.'" - Part I, Chapter XV

"'Withdrawing isn't running away, and waiting isn't prudent when danger outweighs hope, and the wise man saves himself for tomorrow and doesn't risk everything on one day.'" - Part I, Chapter XXIII

"'So far as I'm concerned, there is no need to employ any more words in describing her beauty, worth and understanding, for knowledge of her reading alone is enough to make me confirm her as the most beautiful and intelligent woman in the world.'" - Part I, Chapter XXIV

"'Since she is a female, as you put it, she's going to follow her natural instincts whatever you do to stop her.'" - Part I, Chapter L

"' I mean to say he isn't at all villainous, he's as innocent as the babe unborn, he couldn't hurt a fly, he only want to do goo by everyone, and there isn't an ounce of malice in him - a child could make him believe it's midnight at noon, and it's because he's so simple that I love him from the bottom of my heart, and can't bring myself to leave him, however many silly things he does.'" - Part II, Chapter XIII

"' I don't see what my bum has got to do with magic spells!'" - Part II, Chapter XXXV

"' All I do know is that so long as I'm asleep I'm rid of all fears and hopes and toils and glory, and long live the man who invented sleep, the cloak that covers all human thoughts, the food that takes away hunger, the water that chases away thirst, the fire that warms the cold, the cold that cool the heart and, in short, the universal coinage that can buy anything, the scales and weights that make the shepherd the equal of the king and the fool the equal of a wise man. There is only one drawback about sleep, so I've heard - it's like death, because there is very little difference between a man who's asleep and one who's dead.'" - Part 11, Chapter LXVIII

0 comments:

Post a Comment